Good news. A completely new Toggl Desktop, re-written from scratch, will be launched soon. We – Toggl team and guys from Mooncascade – have built it using a novel approach to software development – Sprint48 – where were are trying to build a working version in just 48 hours.
You can read more about our sprint from:
- our newly created Facebook fan page: facebook.com/Toggl
- ArcticStartup – a Nordic and Baltic technology startup blog: Toggl is a testbed for Sprint48
The reason why we decided to drop the current Toggl Desktop and build a new one from scratch is that we reached a conclusion that the current one has too many issues and the attempt to use a web application as a native application has not worked for us (current one is a site specific browser, i.e. a website in a native container).
Here is a screen shot of what the new Toggl Desktop currently looks like 🙂
Improvements that the new Toggl Desktop will bring:
- It is a native application.
- A lot better offline support.
- Faster, more responsive.
- Capabilities to auto-synchronize with the server.
- Smaller installer.
Here is a link to the new alpha version for:
- OS X
- Linux support will follow very soon.
NB! Keep in mind that the new Toggl Desktop is still in a very early development stage. There are many features missing, the design is not complete and there can be several bugs. However, if you are feeling adventurous, go ahead, try and let us know what your first impressions are 🙂